This summer I decided to try and make an ironing board cover from a free pattern off Craftsy. It involved sewing strips of fabric together, then cutting them so they formed a herringbone type pattern. I completely mucked up the angle needed to achieve this so decided to take a break and see what I should do.....bin all that lovely fabric, along with my time and effort or rescue it somehow.
At the time a friend was asking my advice on the best way to make HS and QST's so I used some of the sewn fabric to illustrate my simple and (to me) foolproof method.
Bingo......they looked so lovely I decided to make as many as I could manage from the fabric I had assembled and fashion them into a quilt of some sort.
As I assembled the pinwheels I realised the 'stripes' in the fabric made them look as if they were spinning so decided I would try and accentuate the effect by quilting intersecting spirals.
To help achieve this I kept the centre panel as small as possible so I could turn the quilt under my machine easily. Once quilted I added borders using a QAYG technique (I like QAYG!!!)
The individual HST's measured 4.5 inches sq. and the finished quilt measures 45.5 inches by 35.5 inches. There are 18 pinwheels on the quilt. It now hangs in my lounge as I am particularly pleased with the intense spiral quilting I achieved on it.