EID 18th century underpinnings by Patw

Summary

Category:
Clothing
Pattern:
Status:
In Progress
Started:
2015-01-07T00:00:00Z
Finished:
Tutorial:
None

Description

Last year was the Year of the Quilt. Now I would like to work on some doll things. All 18th century garb.

I acquired a pair of Elder Iplehouse dolls (EID's) last year. One has a regular size bust; the other has the large bust. Strange as it may seem on a hard resin figure, stays help the bodices fit better by filling in between bust and waist in a nice smooth line.So that's where I always start. The medium bust girl has hers, now I'm working on the large one. I cover the torso tightly with plastic wrap, then with masking tape. Draw the basic lines of my pattern on the tape, then cut it off and begin making a muslin pattern. The fit is adjusted as I go along-- often things are completely re-cut. When I'm satisfied, I make plastic templates of the pieces, which can then be used to cut other stays, and to draft other patterns.

I've gotten to the template stage fairly easily this time. The outside of the stays is cut now, and also the interfacing. I bone them lightly with plastic template material and line them with batiste. This outside fabric is a cotton print in pale yellow that mimics a small-figured brocade. I've also begun a second pair for the other doll, in an indigo print.

The fit of the stays looks good. I've assembled them, and the top of the lining is stitched, ready to turn. Yes, the originals are bound, but it's much easier to do at least part of it stitched and turned.

I'm going to have to make a chemise pattern for the doll also-- the one I made for the medium bust is WAY too tight. The neckline in front needs to be lowered by about a half-inch to fit.

Pictures

Loves

Comments

You can download the project as JSON data.Download JSON