Green Chine Polonaise by Patw

Summary

Category:
Clothing
Pattern:
Status:
In Progress
Started:
2015-04-01T00:00:00Z
Finished:
2015-04-27T00:00:00Z
Tutorial:
None

Description

Another dress for an Elder Iplehouse doll.  This one's more of a challenge, since the girl is a large bust model.  The gown is based on a piece from the Kyoto Costume Institute, and I'm planning to make a miniature of the elaborate hat their staff made from a period fashion plate to display with another outfit of the same period.

Her stays and chemise are complete. The petticoat is finished. I'm now making the bodice lining from a piece of linen, which molds well to the figure. The fashion fabric is a vintage sari, in the double ikat patola technique. I'm going to use re-enactors' anathema-- velcro-- to fasten the front, since pins are not an option for something I might sell sometime in the future.

Front lining has velcro inserted. Next step is to make the self trim for the skirt front, sleeves, and bodice. I'm going to use gathered strips edged with a tight, narrow zig-zag, which nicely simulates the little braid trims that were used at the time, but doll-sized. I opted to attach it by hand, and it's taking FOREVER!

Made real progress today. I finished the sleeves and have attached them to the bodice lining The skirt is completed and is waiting to be gathered and attached next.

Skirt is attached now; next step is to put it on the doll and make the shoulder straps.Yes, I do make doll clothes the same way I'd do a full-size 18th century gown, with the exception of fastenings.

Learned to work the point a main sous la rabbatre-- the little stitch with the big name. Very pleased with how it looks.

Well, drat. I finished appliqueing the outside pieces to the lining. Put it on the doll. Despite what I THOUGHT was careful fitting, the front will not fasten. Okay-- I do have a solution. Remove the velcro. Use snaps, and run a strip of pleated self trim up the front. Next time, be more careful with the shoulder pieces-- I think that's what threw it off. The latest picture gives an idea of where we are now-- and I'm quite pleased with the look. Doesn't seem to need any extra support.

Finished about three weeks ago, but did not get around to photographing it until today.

Pictures

Another WIP shot of the gown.
Work in progress-- fitting bodice lining
Original from KCI

Loves

Charwirfs
Redden
Coastchick

Comments

Coastchick

Really REALLY beautiful!

Patw

Coastchick Thank you!

Charwirfs

Stunning!

Speattle

She must be very popular with the boy dolls!

Sizzlewaggle

Awesome!

Seeneed

I think this is amazing. It is hard enough to make full size patterns for a real person but shrink it down to miniature and it is nearly impossible. Great job.

You can download the project as JSON data.Download JSON