Grandma's Roses by Coralquilts
I wanted to make this quilt for my Grandma Lois for Christmas 2011. I had already purchased a fat quarter set and lace for it. Unfortunately, she passed away in June. I have decided to finish this quilt to take to my Aunt Pam next time I am home in California after I visit my Grandma's grave to show her. I am also hoping to enter it into the Braidwood Quilt Show if I can get it done in time.
Finishing this quilt was a major challenge. I have never had so many things go wrong on one quilt. The fabric I ordered for the back didn't show up as soon as I thought, so I needed to buy some locally. I bought a pre-cut remnant, but it was two inches too short. I went back and bought more. While cleaning my bobbin case, I dropped a screw from the needle plate down into the machine. After I got it back, I ran out out of thread and ended up buying the right colour, but wrong weight. After finishing the quilting, I was 10" short on binding. Fortunately, the quilt shop had more. I managed to get it done a day earlier than I had planned and have sent it off to the quilt show.
I used Matilda's Own cotton/poly batting for the first time. While it quilted very similarly to 100% cotton, there was definitely more bearding present. I'm not sure if I would use it again, but it is $5 cheaper per meter.
UPDATE: My quilt won first prize for a new quilter at the Braidwood Quilt Event 2011. I was so surprised!