It's a Me, Mario! by Jessicalam
I've seen some really cool looking 8-bit Mario quilts and I've decided to try my hand at it. My husband loves video games and I think he'll love this! Now that he has seen my first quilt, he really wants one— so much that he's been helping me plan this one out. :) We're thinking either queen or king sized so there can be a very detailed scene. Since this is 8-bit Mario I'm definitely using all squares so it's pixelated. The goal is to make it as "real" looking as possible. I don't care how long it takes me— I just want to really try to get all the detail I can.
I've begun by mapping out the characters and details with colored pencils on graph paper. So far I have Mario, Luigi, the question mark box, and the brick boxes. (Whatever they are called!) I began working on the pattern for a coin but I got tired after the 3rd or 4th try. I'll pick it back up and try again in a few days. :)
Got my Kona Solids Jelly Roll in the mail this week! Tonight I began cutting out my 2.5" squares. I've decided to start off by cutting all the colors. I can always use the extra colors for another project later.
I've been going back and forth with 2 ideas.
- Keep the squares as is at 2.5". This means mario will be about 26" when completed. Since everything would be so large I wouldn't be able to fit as much on the quilt. I would likely have - Mario, one box with a coin, a turtle, and the info in white along the top.
- Quarter the squares to make them 1.125" each. The measurement is kind of funny but I would still be able to use the jellyrolls which I prefer. I hate trying to cut perfectly from yardage. Even though it would be harder and take longer, I would be able to have an entire Mario scene much more like the game.
I started quartering my squares. This is a huge job but I just keep telling myself it will look so cool when finally completed. I think I'll be working on this quilt for a long long time.