This is for my daughter who is expecting her first baby; she doesn't want to know the sex because she doesn't want a room full of all pink or all blue. So I used equal parts pink and blue and added some contrasting colors. I'd named it "gender neutral" but a friend said it made her think of circus and cotton candy, so I changed its name.
I'd been to the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show this summer and listened to Karla Alexander
. Many of the quilts she showed used her ruler, "Curves for Squares," and I liked the effect. So I bought the ruler.
The first part of designing was to make the blocks from the new ruler. I had to do lots of mental piecing to come up with the border. I'd wanted to shift from pink and blue to the other colors of the stars in the pink fabric, but it was too sudden. So I added in the pink and blue. I thought of star cornerstones, but the zigzags felt so unfinished. Another name I'd considered was "Keeping out of the Corner."
She won't get the quilt till after early December, but she doesn't quilt so I think it safe to show it here.
Finished it and changed its name yet again. I overcame the skipped stitch, and now the stitches are too close and there are knots on the back. It will have to do. It will take some time to synchronize a pace between too fast and too slow.
This is the first time I have tried back to front binding...a real time saver when the fabric coordinates.