I've been pretty busy sewing clothes, and binding quilts the last couple of weeks. I think it's time to start a new piecing project. I've decided to work on my Colorist quilt. I've cut all of the inner and outer rings using Half Moon Modern charm packs. Charm packs are just big enough to make the large ring pieces, so I was able to get all my ring pieces cut from 2 charm packs (I didn't use any of the grey fabric). Now I just need to decide what I want to use for background fabric.
Even though the original Colorist quilt looks nice with a white background, I really don't want to use white. I'm thinking about a navy, plum, or chocolate brown - something that's deep, saturated, and not quite neutral. I'm just not sure what to do. Any recommendations?
I decided to go with Kona Charcoal Grey for the front and a great Robert Kauffman print on the back. I'm not sure I have quite enough of either, but I'll make it work. I've decided that I will add a strip down the back with scraps from the left over fabric from the rings.
I made a little progress on the back of this quilt during #VCN over the weekend. I got a strip of grey fabric added to each side of the rainbow strip, and got the strip sewn to the backing fabric. I still need backing fabric for the other side to make the backing wide enough, but I know it will be awesome when it's done. Heck, the back may be more awesome than the front. I'm not sure.
I feel like such a slacker, having not really worked on this in a week, but my sewing machine and I had been having some problems. It seems that things are working again. I finished the backing of the quilt tonight, and also managed to get the solid ring pieces sewing to the outer ring pieces. I'd say that's pretty good progress for one night.
Well, since the earth didn't end yesterday I decided to finish the piecing for this quilt. It came out really well, even if I did end up having several problems with the pattern. I made the circle with 30 sections, just like it said, and it looked lovely, but when I tried to attach it to the center circle is was just about perfectly 1 section too small. I ended up taking a section out of the rings to make it work. Then of course, the circle that had been cut from the background fabric was WAY too big. I ended up taking about 8 inches out, by overlapping the fabric at my seams. I now have annoying little pockets in my fabric, but I'm sure that the quilter can just quilt over them and you'd never know.
This means I now have another 2 quilts ready to be sent for quilting.... I think I have a problem.
To try to save a little money, I'm quilting this one by myself. It's actually going decently well so far, which is saying something since I'm using my basic home machine and quilting in circles.
I finished quilting the center section of the quilt tonight. I really like the way it's looking. I figure another night or two of quilting and I can have the quilting done.
I finished quilting, did the binding and got the quilt washed today. Yea for a finished quilt!