I had a challenge to make something Valentine-inspired, and I came up with the idea of a modern spin on cupid's arrow for a shirt. Since I couldn't find the fabric I wanted, I just screen-printed my own to look like modern arrow fletchings! To make my own cheap screen, I used an old sheer curtain (found at a thrift shop) and inserted it into a huge embroidery hoop (also from a thrift shop). I went the easy route and used contact paper to make my pattern, stuck the contact paper onto the sheer fabric, and started printing away with Speedball fabric ink and a cookie spatula. Totally ghetto, but the result was exactly what I wanted!
The problem with this shirt was the collar. No matter what I tried, the bodice fabric would stretch when I sewed the collar on. Stay stitching, walking foot, etc. you name it I tried it! The only thing I can think of was to draw the collar piece with an exaggerated curve to it to compensate for the bodice stretching out, but by the time I got to that point I had already given up :) Next time! So, I just placed the buttons lower to have the collar lay open a bit and look like it was supposed to be wide. Let's just say patience is not a virtue I can brag about.
I love the lace detail, the little dot accent fabric, and the fact that I sewed a placket successfully for the first time! I am glad I learned how to do that; I will certainly be using it more in the future. I love learning new things, especially when sewing is involved!