by Charlie Scott from the Moda Bakeshop site.I found it quilt in a round about way. I was listening to the
podcast (look for a short review later), a new podcast for me at the time. Sarah, the host, mentioned the blog
. I went to take a look and saw
. It may no longer be on the site, however.
I really liked the colors of the stars and the way the quarter
square triangles come together to make that odd shape in the middle of
I suppose I was attracted to Christmas quilts right at that moment,though I will never understand why as I never thought I would make a Christmas quilt. Too much
work for a month a year. I do think that the expansion of “Christmas
colors” to include some blues and tints of red and green have something
to do with it. I love the red and green color combo, but sometimes it
just looks too Christmasy.
p.s. i quilt had a kit, but I decided not to buy it as I didn't like the basic grey fabrics that came with it. I liked the Kate Spain 12 Days of Christmas fabric better, so that was a possibility.
Since I was thinking about going out and actually buying special
fabric for a project, I thought it might be a good idea to test the
pattern. I dug out the directions and went to work. I can’t say I was enamored with the directions from the Moda Bakeshop.
It really too me a long time to make one block and I had to follow the
directions step by step, because there weren’t cutting directions for
one whole block at the beginning of the section where the star starts.
I redrew the block in EQ7 just to see what it would take to make some straightforward cutting directions. I can see why Charlie Scott
used some fancy triangle tricks. I created rotary cutting directions in 12″
(both finished) sizes. These blocks use quarter square triangles and
the triangles need to be cut weird sizes, which I know nobody likes.
Still, my directions are a lot more straightforward than those on the
Moda Bakeshop page.
The project was a process and working through some of the issues made it fun. Since I bought a whole line of the Kate Spain fabric, I forced myself to use it. I wouldn't have bought all of the prints, if I were buying them piecemeal, but I had them all and didn't want them to go to waste. That meant a learning curve
for the colors and the scale of the prints.
This pattern has a lot of leftover fabric, which annoyed me a bit. I don't want to run short, but I ended up making a whole second quilt from the leftover fabric. That wasn't in the plan. In November of 2010, I was done with the blocks and the Jelly Roll sashing and ready to put the quilt together. I tried a couple of different color options
and finally settled on a turquoise batik, which was not part of the original fabric line, but worked perfectly.
I finished the top in mid-November 2010. The quilt top, without the final turquoise border is all on the bias and
I just don’t believe in giving a quilt to a quilter with a bias edge
border. Yes, I sent this out to be quilted. I just wanted this
quilt to stay relatively square and adding another border was required.
I don’t know why a pattern designer would finish off a quilt with a
bias border. Perhaps it is some complicated part of a learning
experience of which I am unaware.
The quilt was quilted by Colleen Granger and I thought I would give it away, but I liked it so much that I kept it.