At a quilt retreat a friend was making a butterfly quilt, the kind of pattern where you cut rectangles, seam, then trim off triangles. I asked if she planned to sew up the triangles; she did not. So she gave them to me, and I have been using them as leaders and enders. I finally got them trimmed and started to play with design. Because the fabrics were coordinated already, I've planned to use them in one quilt. What looks like a lot when stitching, pressing, and trimming, looks amazingly smaller when laid out.
There are two sizes. But because my "1/4-inch" seam varied over time, I have to trim the smaller ones to two sizes, making three sizes to work with.
I've tried a couple arrangements, but think Flock-of-Geese will be the most efficient. The others require adding more fabrics and more HSTs or don't use enough of what I have and leave an unusable number.
April 2, 2013 I have all the triangles trimmed. And arranged. Looks like it will measure 21 x 21. I was thinking wheelchair lap quilt or infant quilt, either would be 42 x 42, but 10 inch border may be overpowering...may shift to doll quilt 25 x 25. Pondering.
April 16. All stitched and setting triangles cut, and i think the border will work.
June 15, 2015 Totally revised border idea. Top finished. I will have to piece the back as the width is 43 inches. Once upon a time 45 inch fabric would have that covered, but today's fabric falls one inch short. Two if you count the selvedge that will be removed.