This quilt is all about the fabric. I made an effort to get the Farmer’s Market fabrics put out by RJR. I
was able to buy a nice selection in Pennsylvania. I also scrounged a
bunch from my mom when she was done with her food quilts.
After that, it was time to do a test. I want to do a Disappearing 9 Patch. I saw Robin doing one at the CQFA 2011 Retreat
and she got a lot of bang for her buck. I want something that wouldn’t
take forever, but won’t be boring. First, I tried it out.
I was consistent about placement of red and black, so that the red would
end up as cornerstones and the black would be the sashing. I fiddled
around with the arrangement quite a bit, as I am wont to do. I wanted to
vary the food prints that were next to each other as well as the
location of the blacks.
I did chunk this quilt
together. That method of putting together quilts works so much better
for me than sewing blocks together in rows. I also find it easier to
keep my blocks placed where I want them placed. This quilt is on the Young Man's bed and in use.
Here are posts on my blog related to this quilt:
- Binge http://artquiltmaker.com/blog/2011/05/binge/
- Food Quilt: http://artquiltmaker.com/blog/2011/07/food-quilt/
- Food Quilt part 2 http://artquiltmaker.com/blog/2011/09/food-quilt-part-2/
- Three Quilts Return: http://artquiltmaker.com/blog/2011/05/three-quilts-return/
- Finished: Food Quilt: http://artquiltmaker.com/blog/2012/06/finished-food-quilt/