One of the ladies that I work with will be a first time grandma very soon, so I decided to gift them a baby quilt..
After making my fabric choices, I just figured this out as I went along. The square in a square blocks were made with too small of a seam allowance, so all of the points of the inner blocks were chopped off. Now that the quilt is finished, I don't even notice this.
The butterfly embroidery design is from EmbroideryLibrary.com . They were stitched onto each block before the blocks were joined.
After layering the quilt, using spray baste, I did stitch in the ditch, along all seams, on my sewing machine prior to free motion quilting it on my Baby Lock Tiara.
The binding was made from 2.5" strips which were starched prior to folding in half lengthwise and attaching to the quilt, this time using a real 1/4" seam allowance.
I am always studying and admiring the intense quilting done by others and I do practice on scrap pieces of fabric. I felt that this would be a good time to put my practice into action on a real project. As I was going along, I was convince that it was just too much stitching, but as it got closer to being done, I absolutely fell in love with it. The recipient loved it, too!