I made my own version of the popular Moby Wrap. Mine is made of a doubled over, ribbed knit fabric. It finished at about 16 feet long (about 5 1/3 yards) and 11" wide with a 28" long taper at each end that tapers to about 3". I purchased 3.5 yards of fabric that, I think, was 44" wide. When folded up, the most compact I can make this wrap is 11" by 7" by 3". Too big to keep in the diaper bag all the time, but small enough to carry in the car on day trips.
To make my wrap, I cut the fabric I bought in half lengthwise to have two pieces each about 3.5 yards by 22". I sewed these pieces together to form a piece about 7 yards long. I stitched a french seam (I think that's what it's called) by stitching the pieces together, then folding the fabric and stitching in order to encase the seam allowances. Then I stitched the little flap down. I created the taper on this and then stopped all work, leaving the raw edges. I made the wrap to this point before baby was born. I wanted to see if I really needed all 7 yards of fabric in order to safely carry baby, so I waited to do any other work until I could get her into it.
Once I put baby in the wrap for the first time, I quickly realized I did not need all that fabric. Choosing not to wrap the final ends around myself twice, as instructed with the Moby Wrap, I found I could trim a lot off the ends. I put the wrap on, tied it as I wanted to wear it, and then marked where I wanted the fabric to end, taking into account the fact that when baby is bigger, I will need to wear the wrap looser, and thus will need longer ties. Then I trimmed and created a new taper. This Wrap Version 2.0 had the same length as my final wrap, give or take an inch for seam allowances later on.
I wore this Version 2.0 a few times and then realized I didn't need so much fabric *width* either. I determined half the width would be sufficient to carry her safely. Since the long edges still needed hemming (for aesthetic purposes, that is), I decided to stitch the whole thing into a tube. I did that, leaving a small opening to turn it right side out afterward. I considered top-stitching along both long edges, but decided against it. The stretchy ribbed knit is not easy to stitch in the first place, and I figured the top-stitching wouldn't look very good, so why even bother...
I'm very happy with this Final Version of the wrap. There is less fabric bunching under my arms and, though still a *lot* of fabric to deal with, it is slightly more manageable than the 7 yards I started with.
I linked a tutorial that this wrap is mostly based on. The only difference is that I ended by sewing mine into a tube to make it half as wide.