My niece Iris is getting married in September. I decided I wanted to make her a quilt to celebrate her new journey in life. I chose the pattern "Sunnybrook Lane" by Sweetwater and used her fabric "Road 15" also by Sweetwater produced by Moda. I love the roads, houses, trees and all the great shades in the prints.
6/8/14 I've got all the corner pieces cut out, stitched and pressed open. I've decided to use the scap corner piece that you cut away for another quilt. I can't see wasting any fabric. Once I trimmed the corner piece, I stitched and then pressed it open (see pictures). I've decided to use those extra pieces and the remaining fabrics of the same prints to make a baby quilt in the pattern "Broken Dishes". I have the pattern in my "Scrap Quilts (Mania)" by Quilt mania that I purchased from Country Sampler that is both a brick and mortar and an online quilt shop.
7/16/14 I finished stitching the last block together tonight. With my husbands assistance, I've laid out all the blocks/rows and snapped some photos so I can keep track of what goes where. I'll start stitching the rows together tomorrow.
7/27/14 I finished the quilt top......sort of! This is how the pattern shows the top looks, prior to the binding of course. I've decided it needs just a bit more so I've decided to add a small border. Of course this last minute decision meant I had to order additional fabric as I didn't have enough of any print on hand. Hopefully it will arrive very soon along with the backing so I can get it to the longarm quilter I've lined up.
7/30/14 I cut 2 1/2" borders tonight after work. They'll end up being a 2" finished border once the binding is attached. I wasn't too sure about using the gray for the border, but I like it. I wanted a light, soft color for the back and found the perfect gray/white print from the same line of fabric. Tomorrow I'll sew the backing together and by this weekend it'll be on it's way to be quilted.
8/22/2014 The quilt just arrived back from the long arm quilter today. The edge to edge design is called "Tickle Too", it really turned out so pretty. I cleaned up/trimmed the edges and will start to pin the binding on the front tonight. I prefer to hand stitch the binding to the back so that will take a little bit of time with work and all. The wedding is at the end of September so it'll be done in plenty of time.
9/2/2014 The binding is finished. When I cut out the blocks, I ended up with 2" strips of all the different colors used in the quilt and I decided to do a scrap binding with them. I love how it turned out and will have to do scrap bindings more often. My next and final step will be to make the label and sew it onto the back of the quilt.
9/7/2014 I sewed the label onto the back this morning and it's completely finished. I got some great pictures outside using my mother's clothesline to hang it from. Our dog just had to drop in for a quick photo as well - LOL The wedding is in two weeks and I can't wait for the bride and groom to open their gift from us.